Google Analytics

G-LWKNT5ZVRQ

Friday, March 19, 2021

Week 8 Part A: How to Expand Your Reach on Instagram by Using Hashtags

 I often wondered what the pound symbol (#) was doing at the end of peoples post on Facebook. Then I jumped on Instagram. Admittedly, a few years later than Facebook. I noticed them there as well. Why are people putting the pound symbol in front of words and abbreviations? I later discovered that they are called “Hashtags”. Ok, well, what are they used for? What is the relevance?

I did some research on hashtags and looked at how they are used by individuals as well as businesses. So, apparently, using hashtags is a way to reach new people, customers, clients and the like on social media platforms. Hashtagging links a posts, pics, videos… etc. with that hashtag. So, if you tag all your content with the same hashtag, a person searching that hashtag will see all the content posted with that hashtag.

If all the restaurants which serve tacos took pictures of their tacos and tagged them with #tacotuesday, then a person searching the hashtag #tacotuesday would see everything posted with that tag. Adding other tags such as business name and location could help promote the business and locality. Its all about the right hashtag(s) when using them to find your target audience.

A few things to keep in mind. Hashtags work on public profiles. Tags on private profiles are not seen publicly. When I expanded my Instagram from a private profile to business, it became public.

When posting a hashtag, there are rules. No caps or spaces. Try not to convert a sentence to a hashtag. This can be very difficult for an individual to decipher. #comelikemypageoninstagram is long. Hashtags I might use for my page would include #atep, #gpats, #tets, #vipert, #grmats and so on. These would be considered branded hashtags. They are unique to my business. I have a very niche group of customers. Most people wouldn’t even know what any of those things mean or are related to. My customers and I do, and that’s what matters to me.

The number of hashtags used on a post is a max of 30. I’m not sure how anyone could come up with 30 tags for a post, but I’m sure there is some influencer out there frustrated by that limit. I can only come up with about 10 at a time. Maybe I’m just not hat creative.

In general, hashtags seem like an effective way to promote items, events, people, and products. Not to mention an entire company, regardless of the size. So, go and make your posts. Hashtag the heck out of them. Look at other, similar hashtags to see what’s gaining traction and popularity.

#happyhashtagging

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 17: Wrapping it up!!!

🙈🙉🙊  Ok! So, lets wrap this up. I can say that my overall understanding of how Social Media (SM) for business works. Not to mention my ow...