Google Analytics

G-LWKNT5ZVRQ

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

CSIT 155 S21 Wk1A TMORISSETTE My Template & College at 45

 So here I am, 45 years old, and back in college.

First, My theme. I just wanted something simple. I want the reader to be drawn in and not distracted from the blog itself. After all, the reason you are here is to read the blog.

I have a great career which pays well with a great retirement plan. So... this begs the question... why? Why does a middle aged man go back to school? I 'm not here to get the higher education for seeking out a better job or promotion. I already work in the field for which I am looking to get a degree. Heck! I already have a degree in the same course of study. A degree which is 11 years old. If you are in the tech field, then you know, it's time to update.

Newer technologies and advances in both software and hardware mean constant learning. In my case, I work for the Dept of Defense. They are about 7 years behind the tech power curve in many areas. I work on one system which still has Windows XP as the operating system. I kid you not... XP!!!!

So now, with upgrading and new equipment on the horizon, it's time. I need to update my skill set to keep up with new operating systems, hardware configurations and software applications. Oh, and it pays well. Using the remainder of the GI Bill has some perks.

Now, social media... lets just call it SM. Everybody seems to like the use of acronyms and abbreviations these days. The two most common for us older folk seem to be Facebook and Instagram. Other platforms like Snapchat and TikTok have really taken off. I should ask my son, he's 22. I remember when Tom from MySpace wanted to be my friend.

I think using the SM media platforms which have the most relevance in your area, geographically and career wise, is probably the best more to make. Facebook and Instagram are good starts. Reddit has some added value. If you go over seas, you may have to do some research to find the best platform. WhatsApp and Line are the preferred messaging app depending on where you are at. I was in Japan and they preferred Line. While in Germany, they preferred to use WhatsApp. So, some research may need to be done to hit your target audience.

In my case, many of the people I interact with use Facebook and Instagram. Both these apps allow advertising. Even better, both have a messaging platform. These allow for picture and file transfers. They also allow for voice and video communication. These all can be very useful for provided prompt contact between your business and the customer.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Ty,
    I enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks for sharing a little bit about your life. You're a kind of an inspiration to everyone. I feel better now, I am 36 and now I'm back in College again switching to a different career. I already finished my degree in Education and was a successful teacher in the Philippines but when I got in here I want to do something else... I agree with you, Facebook and instagram are good start when we're talking of social media platforms and these both could be great for either personal or business use. Thanks again!

    - Tess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tess,

      We are all students of life. Thankfully, we can make changes in our paths to higher learning, no matter our age. It's great that you have the courage to make the leap from education to another field. Best of luck to you.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ty, I enjoyed reading your blog. I was attracted to it. I am surprised that you are back in college at your age because my parents are at the same age as you, so I really cannot imagine if my parents would be like you! but I want my parents to try new things like you without worrying about their age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Haruka,

      I thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It wasn't an easy decision to take this leap. However, I do feel as though it was necessary. I could have sat back and slid through the class without anyone knowing these things. I just felt that it might help some of those students who maybe in the same boat to know they are not alone. Then again, I may be like the Old Man and the Sea.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ty!
    I really enjoyed reading about your life though knowing the DoD uses XP I must admit I'm mildly terrified hahaha
    I think it's really smart to return to school to update your computer science knowledge and I really look forward to seeing what you create as we move through the semester!

    Best regards!
    Emilie Banks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Let me put your mind at ease a little. The systems that use XP are not on a network. They are needed to to test older equipment not compatible with newer operating systems.
      I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and give feedback. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Hi Tom,

    Kudos to you for going back to school! I'm glad you are using your GI bill to help offset the cost of school. I'm sure you worked hard to earn it, so it's nice that you are putting it to good use. Hearing you are in the Tech field I have a feeling you may have to get used to being a student as the world of tech is constantly evolving. But I would think that is also what can make it an exciting field.
    Your line about Tom wanting to be your friend freaking made me laugh!
    Your info about Line and WhatsApp was really interesting. I have a niece in Japan now and never thought about what the preferred method of communication would be. Thanks for the informative and entertaining post. :)
    And lastly, I like how you responded to all of our commenters. I thought that was both a polite and savy professional response as a blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela,

    Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to respond to my blog!
    The GI Bill is great! It means zero cost for me! I read your blog and now know that you like the use of exclamation points! I am using them instead of periods in this reply!
    Yes, the tech field is constantly evolving! Fortunately, the government moves at the speed of snail! I'm back in school after 11 years! It's kind of fun, just wish we had some classroom time! I like meeting new people in person!
    I used to go to Japan for business and found that the society, depending on region, liked to use other forms of messaging! They do this because the data rates are expensive! My youngest daughter lives in Germany and I have friends in the UK and Switzerland! They all like to use WhatsApp! Just like Japan, the data rates are expensive!
    Glad you are here! It's good to meet new people and get different perspectives! Your 'Empty Nesters' club sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Week 17: Wrapping it up!!!

🙈🙉🙊  Ok! So, lets wrap this up. I can say that my overall understanding of how Social Media (SM) for business works. Not to mention my ow...