Google Analytics

G-LWKNT5ZVRQ

Thursday, February 11, 2021

Week 3 Part A: Aesthetics, Design, and Branding

 In this assignment, we were asked to look at principles of good social media design. Below is my opinion of the websites I viewed

National Park Service

So, I took a look at the National Park Service website (https://www.nps.gov). The first thing that hits is the Black History Month picture and link banner in the middle of the page. It’s a little overwhelming and consumes so much area. The viewer has to scroll down to see other links of interest. When I clicked on the MENU button, the menu appears and pushed the entire page down. I feel they could fit more content into the page with less scrolling if they were to reduce the size of the banner promoting Black History month. Now this is my first time visiting this website. I do not know if the web developer does this with all promotions. If they do, they may want to dial it back a bit.

The “FIND A PARK” banner goes across the entire screen. The “FIND A PARK” is a link to another page with a map. Below the “FIND A PARK” is a drop down list which you can select a state. Below the drop down list is another button “See All Parks & Search By Map”. If you click on this, it takes you to the same page as the “FIND A PARK” button. Both the “FIND A PARK” and the “See All Parks & Search By Map” do not actually look like buttons. The viewer wouldn’t even know they are buttons until they scroll over them and the mouse cursor changes. The website could use some layout improvements. Some buttons, I feel, should have borders and, maybe, a change of color so they are not blending into the banner they are on.

The website looks to be professionally done. The overall layout and link are pretty good. Pictures with titles are clickable links. I have seen some websites which this is not the case. All the pictures look professional. There are social media links at the bottom of the page for those people interested in following the NPS on those platforms.

Penny Juice

The next site I visited was Penny Juice (http://www.pennyjuice.com). Having never been to this website either, I didn’t know what to expect. The home page color scheme and picture of two kids immediately lets you know that this is a product for kids. The picture of the two kids on the main page is cute, but I can’t tell if they are finger painting or if that’s the juice and they are being really messy with it. When you scroll the page, the picture of the kids stays in place, like a background. The rest of the page runs over the picture. The page appears to lack in content, so they made up for it with large, block like color segments for each area with a link. Its great that the header banner stays in place, but the picture could roll with the page.

About halfway down the page is a picture of a product label with nutrition facts. The product label picture could be a little bigger or at least the text so that the viewer can read it without zooming in. The picture is a clickable link. I clicked on it in hopes of seeing what was on the label or getting the nutrition facts. Nope! Just more generic info on the product, most of which I learned on the home page.

If this website is professionally done, which its probably not, then it was definitely low budget. Most of the links on the home page take you to the page. I think someone at the company bought a domain name that came with three pages. The designer did their best to fill up those three pages.

 

Rover P6 Parts

For the MGBD Rover P6 enthusiast, go check out http://www.roverp6cars.com. This website is chock full of parts and links for meet-ups. If I owned one of those cars and was looking for parts, this website looks like the jackpot. The designer makes it appear as though they have everything you could ever need or want for one of the vehicles they specialize in.

The website lacks in professional design. Links area very blocky and many don’t align well on the page. The column of links on the left side can be difficult to read. The overall layout looks like they tried to cram everything they had onto one page. Pictures and logos could have been cropped better. I clicked on links to get to other pages which are a little better laid out. The whole first page gives the impression that it was not professionally done.

Gates and Fences

While the Gates and Fences (http://gatesnfences.com) website is very informative, it’s a bit wordy. I found the content very informative. There are an overwhelming amount of links. The list of links along the left side lack consistency with the buttons. This is another website which I feel is not professionally designed. A generic background, gray text blocks and bland text throughout makes for a bland page. Now, if I were looking for gates, fencing, part and pieces, this is probably a website you want to visit. It might take you a little time to sort through all the info to find what you are looking for.

Other Blogs I responded to for Wk 2 Part B

https://csit155-sp21agomez.blogspot.com/2021/02/week-2-part-b-business-research.html#more

https://csit155-sp21ttruesdale.blogspot.com/2021/02/week-2-part-b-business-research.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ty,

    Your's is my third comment, and I think that it is interesting the different takes that different individuals have on the same websites. It makes me think that a lot of this stuff is subjective, because many views I am reading about are in direct contradiction to my own! Haha, in this case it is the National Park Service.

    I thought their website was well designed and especially blazing fast considering the amount of information they have on some of their pages. I can see your point however with their emphasis on an event that probably isn't why people are going to the national parks service website. I see how that can detract from the user experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ty,

    I found your opinions about the websites you chose very interesting. I looked into Penny Juice's website as well and it was cool to read a different perspective on it, but to also see that we noticed some of the same things. I agree that the site was a bit confusing initially. It does appear to be low budget or as if they didn't spend much time creating it. It has a good starting point but could use some serious editing of their aesthetic, color scheme, and photo choices.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Week 17: Wrapping it up!!!

πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š  Ok! So, lets wrap this up. I can say that my overall understanding of how Social Media (SM) for business works. Not to mention my ow...